Massapequa Ceramic Crowns Dentist
When you need a crown put on a tooth, one of your best options is to get one made of ceramic. Ceramic crowns are the most natural looking crowns you can buy today, making them the favorite among many people.
Dental crowns are used in a variety of situations, mostly to protect a damaged tooth or to make cosmetic modifications to a tooth. Other purposes include:
- To support a dental bridge
- To restore a tooth after a root canal
- To cover a dental implant.
Types of Ceramic Crowns
Not every crown that claims to be made of ceramic is made the same way. There are different types and each one has its own advantages.
- All Ceramic– These crowns are made of an engineered compound that is very similar to porcelain. They are made entirely of the same material and they provide the best aesthetic look.
- Porcelain Fused to Metal (PFM)– This type of crown has a metal base and the porcelain is fused to it to give it a more aesthetic look. It is much stronger than all ceramic, but it must also use a white compound over the metal to prevent the color of the metal from shining through. This gives it a slightly less than natural appearance.
- Milled Crowns– Some dentist offices have the equipment to be able to mill a new crown on the spot. This computer-operated machine using CAD/CAM can make a new crown from a small block of ceramic material in about 20 minutes. It provides a strong advantage in that it enables you to get a new crown in just one visit.
- Zirconia– This material is believed to be considerably stronger than ordinary porcelain. It is, however, made of a block of material that is of a uniform color, which means that it does not look as natural as other all-ceramic crowns. This quality would make it ideal for a crown on the back teeth where it is not as visible.
Crowns that are less natural looking may be better for teeth that are more out of sight than other ones. Crowns that exhibit more lifelike qualities are best for front teeth, especially if they are placed next to a natural tooth.
Stronger crowns, such as the PFMs or zirconia are better placed where they can withstand stronger biting forces. This will enable them to last longer. It also makes a lot more sense to use stronger crowns if you tend to clench or grind your teeth. A night guard from a dentist can also help prevent damage.
Dental crowns can last from 10 to 15 years. With proper care, it is possible for a crown to last a lifetime – or as long as the tooth under it lasts.
The dentists at Global Family Dental can provide you with quality ceramic crowns. We offer cosmetic dentistry and full-service dental care to meet the needs of you and your family members. Contact us today about any questions or to set up a consultation appointment.