Dental crowns enable dentists to be able to save teeth that otherwise might be too damaged or decayed. They have many uses, including changing the way a tooth looks. A crowns dentist Farmingdale often puts crowns on teeth and many of them will look just like your natural teeth.
When Dental Crowns Are Used
Crowns can fulfill many purposes. When a tooth can no longer support a filling, the top or visible part of the tooth is prepared for a crown. This restores the tooth to its normal usefulness and appearance. It will only work when there is enough of the old tooth to support a crown.
A crown can also be put on top of a weak tooth or a broken one and can save a tooth that has been cracked. They can also be used to hide a discolored tooth or one that is misshapen. Crowns are also put on top of a dental implant or used to support a bridge. After a root canal procedure, a filling or a crown will often be put on top.
Types of Dental Crowns
Various materials are used in crowns. Each type of material will affect how it looks, how long it lasts, and how it acts on opposing teeth. The materials used include:
- Metals – Often made of gold or platinum, or other base metal, they are strong and more durable than other choices. They are obvious because of the color.
- All-ceramic – This type of crown is the most natural in appearance. They can be used for front or back teeth. They are durable.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal – This version is stronger than the all-ceramic. It has a metal base, but it may become visible if your gums recede.
- Composite resin – This type of crown is the least expensive. It is a tooth-colored crown, but it is not nearly as durable as other types. It can be expected to last between five to seven years.
- Zirconia Crowns – This new type of crown is the strongest available today. Its advantage is that it can be made by a computer milling machine in the dentist’s office. There are two types – solid white and translucent. This type will eliminate the need for a second appointment.
- Onlays and Inlays – These types of crowns are made in a lab and only cover part of the original tooth.
Making the Crowns
When a crown is needed, the crowns dentist Farmingdale will first remove some of the enamel on the tooth. It will be removed all around the tooth and shaped. After that is completed, the dentist will either take an impression of the tooth or will scan it digitally. These will either be sent to a lab, or the digital scan may be sent to the milling machine.
The crown will then be made to fit the prepared tooth and placed. If the crown is going to be made in a lab, a temporary crown will be placed, and a second appointment will be made when the crown is ready.
When you need a dental crown, you can get one from the crowns dentist Farmingdale at the Global Family Dental office in Farmingdale Long Island. Our friendly dentists treat the whole family with a wide range of dental services.
1037 Fulton Street
Farmingdale NY 11735